I suggest you ...

Add AutoComplete for VB.NET

We need the auto complete feature to support VB syntax.

444 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike CMike C commented  · 

I've just purchased LINQPad Premium in the hopes that VB autocompletion will be added in the future. Note that Roslyn is now available if you need CaaS.

• AndiAndi commented  · 

It's a pitty that the language, which has the better LINQ support (VB) isn't supported!
        Both Actipro and ICSharpCode support VB, so it should be possible. Even if the VB version would be worse, it's better then none.
        In my case I was lucky enough to read the 'only C#' comment before hitting the 'buy' button, but I would be even more happy if I could buy...

• Dave ShawDave Shaw commented  · 

@Anonymous. From the Purchase Page: "Autocompletion works not only with LINQ queries, but (almost) the entire C# 5.0 language specification"

• Anonymous commented  · 

Just bought Premium version just to find out there is no support for VB.net autocomplete.
        This is great peace of software and i don't mind paying for it, but it really pisses me off that is not clearly stated when it asks you to buy autocomplete. In my country this would be treated as misleading the customer and it's against the law. So please, before you make people buy the autocomplete make sure you warn them LOUD AND CLEAR that they will get autocomplete only for C#.

• johnwjohnw commented  · 

I may not really understand the difference as to why autocomplete was possible for c# but not VB.
        None the less I tried to understand that it somehow makes use of language syntax checker by Actipro Software, now I know they do a relatively new programming language syntax checker for VB so cant you make use of that to implement VB in linqpad?

• Dan PlaskonDan Plaskon commented  · 

I'm still of the mind: give me whatever limited vb.net autocomplete support you can! I'd gladly use linqpad as a VB.NET code scratchpad even if linq autocomplete was left completely unsupported. Existing VB.NET autocompletion packages could offer this today in linqpad, right?

• MarcelDevGMarcelDevG commented  · 

I would think that an extenisibility model would always be welcome, not just for autocomplete vb (or sql...).
        I for one would like to help to get vb autocomplete, not sure I could do the whole project timewise.
        Isn't the C# implementation a good starting point, or is the langauge (syntax wise) too different?

• Joe AlbahariAdminJoe Albahari (Admin, LINQPad) commented  · 

Vaughn: so would you (or anyone you know) be willing to write this yourself? VB lexers and parsers already exist, so you wouldn't have to to reinvent that (although you'll need to enhance the parser so that it can handle incomplete expressions). The main deal is having to write the binder and various intellisense services, which could end up being a few months' work. I don't know whether you've had experience in writing binders; if not, I can tell you that it's much harder than it sounds! LINQ, in particular, needs deep implementations of generics and type inference.

The reason that I ask is that writing an extensibility model requires that I put aside at least a month at the expense of other features, so I have to be certain it would be used.

• Vaughn BighamVaughn Bigham commented  · 

Even if you don't want to add VB completion, what would you say to a plugin system that could be used to provide intellisense for an arbitrary language?

I think many of us in the community would be willing to write such code for VB, SQL, and whatever else. Meanwhile, you would be getting many extra paying subscribers that are currently dissuaded (I am one).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

please release this. I purchased the license , Vb autocomplete support would be so helpfull.

• Aaron BaumanAaron Bauman commented  · 

@MikeS: No one is saying C# is hard, copying and pasting code in my existing VB project into LINQPad (and vise versa) is something I do all the time, but who wants to do a code conversion every time?
        I would also venture to say that many of us use VB due to the fact that that is the language chosen by developers who preceded us at our respective companies, and changing that decision is no small task.
        I would be completely C# if I had the choice...but I don't.

• Tim MurphyTim Murphy commented  · 

@MikeS. Most of the time when I use LinqPad it is a scratch pad. Why would I want to write C# in LinqPad only to copy and reformat into VB.

From your entire comment I doubt "Note that I am fond of VB, more so that C#" is true!

• MikeSMikeS commented  · 

Can I vote this suggestion down? lol. Guys, C# isn't that hard. You just have to declare everything "backwards", (cast)everything and get your squiglys and semis in order. I vote to change this threads suggestion to have brace matching instead.

Really, if LinqPad is going to be a power users tool, then the authors time would be better spent on other features.

Note that I am fond of VB, more so that C#, but I do not state that on my CV or in any job interview;) Blur your eyes, code is code, if then, do while, for next.

• Dan PlaskonDan Plaskon commented  · 

Well, I put my money where my mouth is...hopefully vb.net support will come one day....

• MarcelDevGMarcelDevG commented  · 

Why wait voor VB11, what is the difficulty for doing it with the current version? Can we help?

• RichardRichard commented  · 

The samples also need to support VB better.
        I'm going to wait 12 months and see how this extremely promising tool develops for those of us who do not have time to swap to C#.

• RichardRichard commented  · 

Agreed with the previous poster. I got the credit card out, only to read that the language our product uses-is not supported making a purchase pointless.

Joseph, please, please, please would you take the users feedback on this?

I have the same issue with our product, trying to find time to work on the most wanted features. I empathise :).

However, put it in, that will allow me to buy it!

Thank you!
        *Note how I already rate this tool :).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base