I suggest you ...

Allow conversion of SQL to Linq (where possible)

It would be great if I could paste in an existing SQL query and convert it to LINQ. This capability exists in other tools, but I would prefer to use LINQPad for everything.

116 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Joe AlbahariAdminJoe Albahari (Admin, LINQPad) responded  · 

In general, LINQ is a higher-level (more abstract) querying language than SQL and this creates some major scope for translation loss in a SQLLINQ direction. For one, LINQ emits shaped results whereas SQL emits flat result sets. The upshot is that an automatic translation from SQL to LINQ will often have to perform more of a transliteration than translation – and generate examples of how NOT to write LINQ queries. For this reason, I’m loathed to implement such a feature. It would be rather like writing a tool to convert VB6 to C# 4, and then using the output to “learn” C# 4.

To use LINQ properly, you must learn to translate your requirements DIRECTLY into LINQ. If you think first in SQL and then translate to LINQ, you’ll get the worst of both worlds!

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nurullahnurullah commented  · 

select * from CekSenet
        left join (select top 1 ceksenet.CariKartFk,ceksenet.CekSenetFk from CekSenet order by CekSenetPK desc ) acs on acs.CekSenetFk = CekSenet.CekSenetPK
        where CekSenet.CekSenetFk =0 and acs.CariKartFk = 8

• Jason ShortJason Short commented  · 

What other tools? I have never seen anything that does that!

Feedback and Knowledge Base