I suggest you ...

Integrate directly into Visual Studio as addin

make it available as an add-in in Visual Studio, where the whole thing is hosted right inside of Visual Studio, so I don't even have to leave VS

943 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthew C. HintzenMatthew C. Hintzen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Wow, almost 900 votes. Still nothing!

• Alexey BogdanovAlexey Bogdanov commented  · 

Is it possible to make it as Resharper plugin? As a bonus crossplatform Project Rider support.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Something like what Devart's LINQ Insight does?

• Ademolu Oluwafẹmi AdelekeAdemolu Oluwafẹmi Adeleke commented  · 

I regard Linqpad as a VS Lite. So integrating into VS doesn't make it a scratchpad anymore. I use it to test code because it launches faster. Then I use the code in VS when I'm satisfied with it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

why not implement your 'script' as a TestMethod in a TestClass / Project.

you got executing of what you want, all benefit of VS without create a full application for a small piece of code that you want to execute?

• TomTom commented  · 

Heh, I spend more time writing code in linqpad and then moving it to VS. I'd prefer more VS features integrated into Linqpad :)

• kriskris commented  · 

Simply put... this would be awsome

• David DeragonDavid Deragon commented  · 

Integration into the Visual Studio IDE would make a great product, an awesome product.

• NateCNateC commented  · 

You might be able to author a VS extension that creates a .linq file for the block of code that is selected in VS? You might be able to also grab the references and namespaces from the related file and add them to the .linq file as well? Then, you might be able to open your nifty new .linq file and execute it?

I was able to add LINQPad to the 'External Tools' list in VS and pass it the $(ItemPath) argument. This launches the entire file in LINQPad but isn't ideal.

• Tim BarrassTim Barrass commented  · 

Agreed, wholeheartedly; linqpad would make the perfect immediate window replacement.

• ChrisChris commented  · 

LinqPad as DebuggerVisualizer tool would be very cool feature for datashaping of large datasets or collections.

• JohnJohn commented  · 

Yes it would really make analyzing and debugging Linq queries much more convenient.

• RaimondsRaimonds commented  · 

In addition to previous:
        Of course, debug-time access to variables, properies and methods, like immediate window functionality, is a MUST thing, due to poorly immediate window functionality.
        And so on ...

• RaimondsRaimonds commented  · 

Great idea! But this can be very complicated thing. In fact, to be useful, that addin MUST get NS references from current project, as well independently parse project code, even not yet compiled, ability to access not public members would be welcome. As result we can not to always do 'copy - paste - edit - adjust - test' cycle, but, for example, simply type in LinqPAD pane something like "new SampleClass.SomeProtectedMethod(anything)"....
        In this situation you don't need more copy back corrected code fragments, they will be already edited inplace!
        REAL time-saver.
        But likely this is too nice to be truth .... :(
        However, this can be GREAT value for what i'll want to pay, much more than autocomplete in LinqPAD standalone version.....

• L. Lee SaundersL. Lee Saunders commented  · 

To be able to place my cursor inside a linq query in VS and hit a magical set of key strokes and have my linq query transfered into LingPad would save me hours!!! Especially if all the references (dlls, etc.) from VS applied to LinqPad.

Then when my LinqPad work is done, press a key and my linq query is transfered back into VS! WOW!!!! I want this yesterday!

• Alan HemmingsAlan Hemmings commented  · 

When i'm working in visual studio and need to check something stupidly simple, like testing a string format, I think twice before opening linqpad just because it somehow seems like a cop-out, i.e. seems like I'm being unproductive so has a bad "feel" to it. If however Linqpad was always running when I open visual studio then there would not be any "stigma" attached to quickly checking something in linqpad, because it would be right there.

Ideallly linqpad should replace the immediate window... THAT would be justice! he he...

Feedback and Knowledge Base