LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Categories

1. When searching for nugets from standard edition, a dialog is displayed saying you can only search for packages that contain linqpad samples.

That dialog shows an error icon, not a warning icon, which seems like the wrong semantics (it's a warning of limited functionality, not an error that something doesn't work). It'd be good if the text started with 'Warning:' also.

I know this looks like splitting hairs, but this just genuinely confused an end-user, who assumed my instructions were wrong.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. should take about a minute to add this. I would use it all the time

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I love that in the intellisense dropdown I can hit Ctrl+H to filter out the extension methods.

It would be great if we could have an option to hide the boilerplate GetType() , GetHashCode(), ToString() and Equals(). These exist on every object, so they just pollute the drop down, without telling me anything new. Alternatively, they may be faded out, or something.

The general problem of intellisense is that between inherited methods and extension methods, you drawn in a sea of dozens of intellisense entries. Somewhere in that haystack is the needle you are looking for. Most of us don't…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I'd like to be able to run queries against a JSON structure (e.g. pull all the orders out > 24 hours old or show status of customers). Right now I take my json save it in a folder e.g. C:\inputdata.txt and then have an extension method in Linqpad that loads from that text file. it would be great if I could dump text into linqpad directly and reference it within my various queries

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. User entering CTRL-E should execute a query justlike F5 does. I am in the habit of that keyboard combo from old queryanalyzer days

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Have the possibility to create a SQL view from the result of a dump() !
    Linq is create to quickly extract complex data. If after you have just to click a button to save this in database it will very useful.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It's kinda getting into the way for samples. Not a very big deal though, but if there's an option to grey out the Dump() function, the main statement would be a little bit more clear.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Super easy, add this method to your Program script:

[System.Data.Linq.Mapping.Function(IsComposable=true)]
    public Guid NewId() => Guid.NewGuid();

Then use like this:

Users.OrderBy(o => NewId())

This will translate to the usual sql statement for the server-side execution:

select * from Users order by newid()

Which is shuffling on the server side.

The C# implementation is never used (Guid.NewGuid()) but is useful nonetheless if someone calls it from the application-side. You can replace it with throw new NotImplementedException() and it will still work just fine.

Would be great if it was embedded into the TypedDataContext (or elsewhere) within LinqPad.

Based on Marc's answer here: …

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Assume that a user has a PDF of your book or Skeet's book. Think of using the Nutshell and In Depth (Skeet) books as help files by linking context help (F1) in LINQPad to topics in the PDF books. If manipulating the PDF is too difficult you could load the clipboard with the appropriate page number for the topic; the user could paste the page number in the upper left box of acrobat or PDF reader is used. I like LINQPad and I have the super-duper-expensive version but I use LINQPad as a C# and NET learning tool for my…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Having a list of rows in the grid it would be convenient to be able to rapidly view a right clicked row as a single row. I.e. like when doing .First(t=> t.Id==9) in the query.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I am trying to creat connection but i am unable to connect.
    Let us know what exactly the parameter here for http://{MachineFQDNORMachineIP}/ Citrix/Monitor/OData/v1/Data
    MachineFQDNORMachineIP}/ --- Database server on which monitoring database is residing or Desktop director server name.
    Citrix---?????
    Monitor ---- is the instanse name

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The hang occurs when there is an unclosed external resource. The linqpad doesn't get stuck because it doesn't unload the application domain and therefore does not wait for the process to exit completely.

There should be some sort of a timeout for the registration of the query exited event and the finilizers to finish their job. If they don't finish in a timely manner you need to kill the process forcefully.

We were using https://github.com/sshnet/SSH.NET and didn't call .Exit() everywhere.

This produces the hang of sorts:

<Query Kind="Statements">
    <Reference Relative="....\SSH\Renci.SshNet.dll">C:\Users\User\Desktop\SSH\Renci.SshNet.dll</Reference>
    <Namespace>Renci.SshNet</Namespace>
    </Query>

var sshClient = new SshClient("demo.wftpserver.com", 2222, "admin", "root"); …

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Currently I get the following exception when accessing POCO methods and properties.
    NotSupportedException: The specified type member 'Language' is not supported in LINQ to Entities. Only initializers, entity members, and entity navigation properties are supported.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Using grid view, the column widths are currently set for the minimum to handle the header text, often visually truncating cell values even if there is unused width available in the grid UI.

If nothing else, divide the available space by the available columns to compute a minimum initial column width. Even better would be if it takes the retrieved values into account and make narrow valued columns narrower.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add commas (or whatever the user's localization number delimiter is) to the number of rows returned that is displayed in the status bar under the DataGrid. When the number is large, like 849054, it's easier to read it in groups as 849,054.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. On clicking Add connection sap bo sttle join dialog will appear where one may define relation with other tables. In many databasese relations may not be defined explicitly. This feature solves the priblem.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add buttons on query menu for Debugging

ie:

Step into
    Step over etc

configurable in preferences