LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Categories

1. Provide horizontal scrolling without having to go to the horizontal scrollbar, say with SHIFT + Scroll. I dont know where i saw it, but i think it would be useful as some entities have many properties and we need to scroll right

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When I use "Help on Current Type/Member", LINQPad harnesses Google to search for the specified information. Unfortunately, Google is currently blocked in my country. Can you add a feature to LINQPad so I can switch the search engine to Bing, Baidu, etc?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. When launching LINQPad, it opens to a new empty query. I'd like that query to be automatically closed/discarded when I open a pre-existing query instead (from the My Queries panel).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I wanted to post a serious performance issue (all the time, even with the beta) when running linqpad in parallels on mac. Resizing window hangs the machine from 1 to 3 seconds. Anyway, I couldnt post this feedback or create an issue on Linqpad forum as that requires me to login using OpenID, which I don't use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I don't know if this is an issue with other connection types in the IQ driver, but using MariaDB, if I have a table with a column name like "Character", the generated SQL does not escape this column name, leading to a syntax error.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. When dumping objects it would be nice to see which properties are marked as Obsolete by striking through them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It's now at:

%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\F#\3.1\Framework\v4.0

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When using Visual Studio to generate a DataContext, the table classes use properties for the columns. When LINQPad does it, it uses fields, not properties. This is bad, because it creates a (too) subtle difference between the 2 tools. Code that works in one, may not work in the other.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. With the new Uncapsulate method in the beta, I tried dumping the internals of an unfinished task, because I'm trying to learn more about some internals of the tasks and the task scheduler.

However, it dumps as "awaiting...".

Could there be a way to force a dump now, even though the task hasn't finished? In my case, it was a task that will never finish because I created it expressly to know what the internals look like before it has completed.

So this:

new Task(() => { }).Uncapsulate().Dump();

will just show "awaiting...".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I mostly find that I need to filter by the primary key id. It would be handy to have a quick way of inserting the primary id name.

Perhaps a shortcut key, or perhaps even just putting the primary id at the top of the drop down autocomplete.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Display the count of EntitySet fields in the parent grid row, so that you don't have to click on them to see if they have any list members:

e.g.: | 1 | ivoice203 | CustName | InvoiceLineItemList (5) | 11/1/15 |

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. the tooltip is very (very!) frequently in the way of typing in code.

first of all, the tooltip should NEVER obscure the cursor (it should just move out of the way), and, to ensure it doesn't have to move out of the way too often, make it appear near-ish (not near) the cursor. Like a couple of lines below the current position of the cursor, so you at least have a few lines of respite, before having to press esc to get rid of that annoying tooltip

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. create something similar to the sql server query designer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I make many query then allow end user to use making report.
    I would like to hide script box to end user.
    End user just select script and run to see result.

Also, I need to Load Win Form or WPF to replace same position of script box that let user select condition for query.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I keep coming back to LINQPad to write few lines, execute ...verify, then go back to implement the small bit I just wrote and I am sure everyone does that and some would save those random scratch for later use or reference. So I wonder, why not a code snippet share feature directly from LINQPad? It would increase awareness and allow us share or persist some of the quick code written every now and then.

Cheers.
    Biniam

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. It sounds like there is already support in the .linq files for relative paths and allowing for paths to be specified relatively allows for transfer among users/machines with different setups

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Changed my CPU recently and intend to change it again before the end of the year after the Zen 3 release.

My JetBrains software continued to work fine, my Visual Studio continued to work fine, only LINQPad was deactivated and I had to do the license transfer.

Why is that and why do you have to deactivate the software if I change my CPU and what if I run out of transfers? Tough luck?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I'm deploying a tool to (technical) end users that uses linqpad as the UI. Before they can user it, we first have to tell them how to configure our internal nuget server.

I'd be great if there was a simple convention for discovering local nuget server(s), so this didn't have to be done manually.

I'm thinking of something a simple as - for domain-joined PCs - a probe to a server called 'nuget' (ie using the same DNS suffix), that just checks if it's responds validly using the nuget API. This could be a 'prompt on first install' action (or…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I like the ease of directly editing SQL tables in the premium edition. However, it's a little too "eager" to save for my taste. I'd like to suggest a couple related changes to make it safer for a klutz like me to use without accidentally nuking things:

1) LP has the new "Edit" button, but not an "End Editing" button.
    2) When clicking between rows, any changes to the row being "blurred" (moved away from) are automatically saved. It seems like it should be asking first, at least once.

Combined, these two things would make it much safer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?