Skip to content

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Categories

1182 results found

1. Sometimes I'm working on 10-15 scripts at a time, using LINQPad as a true scratch pad for C#. I don't necessarily want to save the scripts, but having a visible name for them - instead of Query N - while they aren't the active tab would be extremely useful.

My idea is to use the first line of the script as this temporary name, as long as the first line is a comment. As an example, see how Sublime Text works.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When you want place a code that uses Typed Generic List (List<T>), Intellisense does not suggest syntax.. i.e:

List<string> fields = new List<string>(){"One","Two","Three"};

When you type List, must to appears List<T> suggestion.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Due to work requirements, I cannot use linqpad in our production environment. Instead I will need to generate a SQL script. This is possible right now, however it requires that you include a SaveChanges call to the context to generate a real script which will also execute the change. It would be nice to generate the script without actually executing the script, this way I can test the SQL script against my test environment without having to reset the data that was changed by executing the script in linqpad.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When I enter a class name from a namespace that isn't referenced, a little auto-suggestion hint appears. In VS+R# I would hit Alt+Enter to open this menu, and then Enter to accept.

In LinqPad I have to use the mouse to do this.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The Licensing conditions say: "three computers ... plus 3 virtual machines running MS VPC, Hyper-V or VMWare". Does anyone else use Oracle's Virtual Box to run VM's in a development environment? Whenever I install LinqPad on a VBox VM, it counts against my PC installs and is not detected as a VM. VM's are for tearing down and setting up quickly and so the "six transfers per year" doesn't cut it either. I actually bought a second license to have to stop deactivating from my non-VM hardware so often.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. If I have an enumeration of nodes that can be of type text/html/custom I get the class specific properties in their own columns but there is not indication on the actual class of each line.

When debugging or investigating deep class hierarchies knowing the exact class each line was would be very helpful.

Now one have to determine this through the properties which is not always easy, especially with library code that you have no internal knowledge of.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When I switch tabs, I don't want the Query-tree to update to find the query I'm currently editing. When you have lots of folders it gets rather irritating after a while.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. This great product offers support for so many database types, but the major one lacking is IBM DB2. You can do this through EF, but you will not be able to see the SQL that your linq queries generate.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I often have multiple LINQPad windows open under different credentials, required for operations against remote servers, but I loose track of which is which. I'd be handy for me to show the username in the title bar (perhaps only if impersonating via RUNAS)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Our database has an audit field:

[ActionDateUtc] DATETIMEOFFSET NOT NULL CONSTRAINT DEFAULT (SYSDATETIMEOFFSET()),

When I click "Add Row", this field is defaulted blank rather than null, and annoying since the only way to enter a date at this point is to manually key it in.

Save fails due to SQL overflow, and since save happens when you move off the record, it's not easy to copy/paste an existing one.

Ideally it would be fantastic if LINQPad would recognize that the value will be supplied by the DB, failing that a right click menu to enter 'now' or 'utc now' would…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I shared a script with a colleague today. However we realised it would not run because I was using and referencing logic from the My Extensions script.

My idea is that when a script is uploaded to instance share, it should include (or allow me include) logic from the My Extensions script, so that the script is able to be run on another machine without modification

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I'd created an idea for LINQPad to offer a REPL experience already (since I can't use language features like LINQ comprehension syntax or the like from PowerShell scripts), but now that Roslyn CTP is out and csx / C# script is alive, I'm hoping that the effort required would be much lower in LINQPad to offer a REPL. If it only works when Roslyn is installed, then that's fine with me, and it helps bridge the functionality gap for those of us that love LINQPad but want to use it as a REPL so we can keep results/objects/graphs in memory…

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When working with curom assembly and connection string coming from config it's not clear which database and server working with as name of the connection will be name of the db contesxt in particular assembly.

It would be really useful to find out which server and database names and also allow different color code base on the name of database or server to distinguish between dev/test/prod.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. EF queries the __MigrationHistory each time the DbContext is opened to ensure the DB context is in sync with the DB. This can be very expensive. Can LinqPad provide an option to skip this check by doing Database.SetInitializer<UserQuery>(null)?

UserQuery seems to be the class that gets derived from the user created DbContext.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I would like to use a function like Util.LoadPage(string url int width, int height) to load a webpage into an iframe in the result window.

Currently I'm using File.WriteAllText(fileName, contents, Encoding.Default); and Util.RawHtml to push the iframes into the result window, but for some reason the iframes opens up internet explorer in most cases.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Thanks for AMAZING productivity tool. I would like a feature to run only the command at cursor (not all commands on page). Suggested invocation - right-click context menu option and/or [Alt/Ctrl] + F5.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. i find dark themed environments a lot more comfortable to work in. That's why almost all IDE's have them as an option.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Click "add connection" there are 3 options "linq to sql", "WCF..." and "MS Datamarket...". None of these allow me to connect to SQL Server. Nothing in "view more drivers" looks like SQL Server either. My friend got it to work after a lot of time & effort, but doesn't remember how he did it. SQL Server is very popular. It should be easy to connect to it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I keep coming back to LINQPad to write few lines, execute ...verify, then go back to implement the small bit I just wrote and I am sure everyone does that and some would save those random scratch for later use or reference. So I wonder, why not a code snippet share feature directly from LINQPad? It would increase awareness and allow us share or persist some of the quick code written every now and then.

Cheers.
    Biniam

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. For using LinqPAD for everyday work it would be extremely helpful to have a file association set to open .sdf-Files with LinqPAD directly. Up to now I do not think this is possible. Maybe you could consider a command line option to pass a filename (or connection string) to LinqPAD at start - this would be perfectly sufficient for us by enabling us to write a wrapper providing the desired functionality.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?