LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Save/restore queries on close or manually

I'm a multitasker, and I usually have 7 or 8 (or 20) tabs open in LINQPad. When I need to restart my computer, or for whatever reason close LINQPad, I *could* to save each of my queries (coming up with a meaningful name for each), remember which ones I had open, and reopen them one by one when I restart, but I find it's quicker and easier to just kill LINQPad with Task Manager so that it will offer to reload all my tabs for me automatically. I would be nice if LINQPad had the option to save and restore…

253 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

I need some feedback on this feature. First:
      (a) Would you expect it to apply only to untitled queries? Or:
      (b) Would you also expect it to apply to saved queries that were modified?
      (The reason I ask is that option (a) is simple to implement, whereas option (b) creates numerous complications.)

• Add the Expression Tree Visualizer

The Expression Tree Visualizer is a fantastic tool to shed some light on exactly what happens when an expression tree is invoked. It's especially useful when building your own from scratch, and some visibility on how LINQ does it would be a real bonus!

50 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →

Are you aware that you can call .Dump() on an expression? The output is not exactly the same as the Expression Tree Visualizer, but it conveys much of the same information. Is there anything missing from what you see that you’d like added? Or anything that you’d like changed?

• Find in queries

Sometimes, I update my extensions and want to update all affected queries too, but it's not convenient to open each query and search it. A "find in all queries" option like "find in files" in Visual Studio would be great.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →

This feature already exists: Edit | Search All Queries. (Navigate to Query also lets you search all text). If this is not what you’re after, please post a comment.

• Don't see your idea?

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base