I suggest you ...

Add basic vi style editing mode

I use vim a lot, and ViEmu in visual studio.
Adding vi style editing modes to linqpad would make it absolutely perfect. It doesn't have to be comprehensive, just hjkl movement, dd, cw, dw, w, $ and : commands would be great.

475 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChrisChris shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HowardHoward commented  · 

vim works inside Visual Studio Code. I think it'll be cool if there were linqpad features in VS Code. Is inqpad plug-in for VS Code a possibility?

• DmytroDmytro commented  · 

Vi mode would be awesome

• Tom von ClefTom von Clef commented  · 

I'm a premium customer and a basic vim mode would be great.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If it were possible I would down-vote this suggestion. It is 6 years old and is simply polluting the uservoice page.

While I have no doubt that those who use VI are less productive when forced to use a different editing interface, it was their choice to use VI. I don't think it is useful to the LINQPad community to waste time on catering to those who made alternate choices and are now unhappy with the lack of support for those choices.

No, I am not here to discuss whether or not VI is good, the fact is that it is different and whatever support you have for it in other environments is irrelevant. The existence of a VS plugin that supports your chosen editor interface has no bearing on the issue.

I vote "no" to adding complexity to the editor implementation to support the choices of a few individuals who are not prevented from operating with the current system.

• MichaelMichael commented  · 

I am a premium customer and this feature would go a long way toward giving your product some feature parity with Visual Studio's integrated editor (which supports this via the VsVim extension).

• Aidan WhitehallAidan Whitehall commented  · 

+1 for this from me.

I use viplugin in Eclipse, VsVim in Visual Studio, and Vim for text files. Adding this would be a real boon.

• Matthew AllineMatthew Alline commented  · 

I created an account specifically to up vote this. VIEmu is a fantastic editor mode for VS. I really wish LinqPad has this as well.

• Avinash Krishna KumarAvinash Krishna Kumar commented  · 

Wholeheartedly agree. This is my biggest gripe with using Linqpad today.Vi support would make it a lot easier to use.

• KazarkKazark commented  · 

To turn this on its head, perhaps the LinqPad engine could be used to build a Vim plugin which makes use of its features!

• KazarkKazark commented  · 

+1 this would be awesome. Haha I love how Vi* is so ubiquitous that if you have a program in which it is possible to edit, you will get a Vi mode feature request. By the way, if the VsVim engine doesn't fit in well, another thing to look at would be NeoVim.

• Josh BuedelJosh Buedel commented  · 

I suspect the engine from VsVim could be leveraged to build in some vi support.

• Kyle GobelKyle Gobel commented  · 

+1 for this, Love LinqPad but it's hard for me to use as much as I'd like with no vi.

• Martin HollingsworthMartin Hollingsworth commented  · 

I'd really like to see vim editing as well and it is actually starting to stop me using LINQPad as much as I used to. I've been having great success with VsVim in Visual Studio to the extent that I am struggling to write code in other text editors. Since VsVim is open source, would it be possible to use VsVim.Core inside LINQPad?

One of the things I really like about LINQPad though is the fact that it is really light weight and is stand alone. i.e. NOT part of Visual Studio. Please keep it standalone or the big value proposition of using LINQPad like a REPL goes away for me.

• Ben BalzariniBen Balzarini commented  · 

I couldn't agree more! LINQPad is great but it would be even better with a little Vi.

• Tobi LehmanTobi Lehman commented  · 

I also use ViEmu in VS, it would be nice to have it in LinqPad. Another workaround is if LinqPad gets absorbed into VS, we could just use the existing ViEmu in it's current form.

Feedback and Knowledge Base