Skip to content

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Categories

236 results found

1. Hide SQL Server internal tables related to replication unless the "Include system Tables, Views, and SPs" option is checked for the connection. These objects are currently being included in the tables list even though they are internal system objects that have ismsshipped = 1 in the sys.objects table. Examples include dbo.sysarticles, dbo.syssubscriptions, dbo.MSpeerrequest, dbo.MSpubidentity_range, and many others.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Spelling underlines interfere with pattern editing/selections and constitute visual clutter. Patterns and, possibly, input texts are seldom valid to a spellchecker. Moreover, if you try to open the settings from the spelling right-click menu, the page is invalid.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Great product, just found a small bug. The Chart Dump is incorrectly being applied to everything dumped after it in this case.

void Main()
    {
        var a = new[] { 1, 2, 3 }
        .Dump() // adding THIS dumb caused the bug.  remove this and the errorous grouping goes away.
        ; 

a.Chart().Dump("This desc should only be chart");

a.Dump("this is nested...");
        a.Dump("this too.");
    }

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Update FSharp.Compiler.Service used by LINQPad so that string interpolation in F# starts to work. Current version used is 22.0.3.0, which is rather old.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add ability to filter NuGet search results in the LINQPad NuGet Manager to filter the results to show only the Author/Publisher/"Created By" value specified by either keyword pattern(s) in the search boxes or from a drop-down of all authors/publishers/"created by" values that match the current search results. There have been many times I've wanted to limit the results to just Microsoft or another well-known publisher.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently, the only way to display and update a chart in a DumpContainer is to call chart.ToBitmap() and set the DumpContainer's content to the bitmap. This is workable, but the call to ToBitmap (which in turn calls ToWebChart) overrides many of the attributes of the underlying chart (color palette, axis intervals, etc.). This severely limits the configurability of the charting function.

I know that one solution is to use ToWindowsChart(), modify the attributes that I want to change, and then dump the Windows Chart, but this opens up another visualizer. I'd like to just be able to set the Content…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. .. while writing this explanation I noticed that my Async void Main() had an incorrect return type.

After changing it to Task, everything works as expected.

Could you please report it as an error when or warning (green squigly) when writing "async void Main" and suggest "async Task Main" instead ?

When doing the void' version, Linqpad executes and never waits - so the program completes, but run in the background...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When I turn on compiler optimizations the query timer disappears. This might be intentional. However, when I disable compiler optimizations the query timer remains hidden. Restarting the application shows the timer again.

I'm using v6.9.15 Pro Edition.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I happened upon the feature yesterday randomly by clicking on the Help menu. It would be awesome if it either got moved to a context menu action or even a new menu group (Tools for instance) for better visibility.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please make a hotkey for reconnect current selected database in connection dropdown.

I often loose connection to database. Sometimes I intentionally have to break connection by turning off VPN. Sometimes I do something else in between and connection times out. Then I have to de-select and re-select the same database connection in the dropdown. It's a bit annoying to do this 20 times in a day since it breaks the work flow. Having a hotkey for this would make things smooth.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When I try to start LINQPad 6, I get a message "To run this application, you must install .NET Core". Please either provide a version of LINQPad with its own bundled .NET Core version ( https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/ ), detect "dotnet" on the PATH, or support starting LINQPad 6 with an argument pointing to the SDK location (which can be anywhere if you download the SDK as a ZIP from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/3.1 or https://github.com/dotnet/installer ).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I wanted to make my progressbar show the label above the progressbar. To do this I ended up viewing the source of the ProgressBar and creating my own copy just to modify the Render. This would be greatly simplified if the ProgressBar control exposed the Render method.

protected override object Render() { }

then I could simply inherit the control I want override its rendering logic.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Similar to visual studio. I have a linqpad script that gets copied into different bin folders. If I have the script open I have no idea which one it is without doing open containing folder.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Time and again I hit Alt-Backspace, which is normally Undo (in Visual Studio, Word, etc.; same as Ctrl-Z), but in LinqPad it activates the menu — this throws me off completely! When I finally recover, I've lost my context and forgotten what I was typing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dump doesn't extend ReadOnlySpan<char> right now. It'd be nice to have something like
    "xxx".AsSpan().Dump();

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Using "await foreach(...)" in C# statements causes a compiler error unless an expression is also awaited: CS4033 The 'await' operator can only be used within an async method. Consider marking this method with the 'async' modifier and changing its return type to 'Task'.

So "await Task.Yield(); await foreach(...)" works as expected, while "await foreach(...)" doesn't.

As an aside: VB Statements/Espression don't seem support Async/Await at all currently. I am not really affected by it because I don't use it, but I thought this might be worth noting nonetheless. This also applies to LINQPad 5

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. LinqPad includes references to common .NET assemblies and its namespaces in each query by default, but it doesn't provide a way for users to remove any of these references and/or namespaces, if they don't use or need them.

This causes issues due to name clashing between classes in different namespace.

For example, the sample code below uses Newtonsoft.Json v12.0.2 to format a JSON string:

var jsonStringMinified = @"{""x"":100.5,""y"":200.4}";

var parsedJson = JToken.Parse(jsonStringMinified);
    var jsonStringIndented = parsedJson.ToString(Formatting.Indented);

jsonStringIndented.Dump();

The namespaces imported in this example are:

Newtonsoft.Json
    Newtonsoft.Json.Linq

We get a compilation error: "CS0104 'Formatting' is an ambiguous reference between 'Newtonsoft.Json.Formatting' and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Some code requires higher privileges. Sure you can run LINQPad itself as Administrator - but then access to e.g. network share might not work and it is better to limit the higher access rights to just the execution of a single script. So an option for a query "Requires Administrative Privileges" would be great. Values: true, false. Maybe an addtional optional would be: Always ask for Administrator priviledges (that is: on every execution elevate again) or "Ask only once". Then only the first execution would request elevation. Further executions would run automatically in an already elevate security context. Also a…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. .NET Core is gaining adoption, and I find myself needing to experiment on .NET Core more and more, especially since .NET Core has it's own surface area. It be great to be able to do this in LINQPad.

I don't need LINQPad to run Mac/Linux, just the Windows version to be able to target .NET Core.

129 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?