I suggest you ...

LinqPad on .NET Core

It would be great for Linux and Macintosh developers to be able to use LINQPad :)

240 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    petho.pal shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

It would be a great to have LINQ pad run cross platform on MacBook... Hoping you can get around the third party control problem you mentioned in the post.

• legogris commented  · 

@mortb: This is not the same as Mono support, even if both would enable you to run on OS X an Linux. Seeing as .NET Framework 4.X is now legacy and .NET Core is the way forward, I see Mono as much more of a fringe thing and .NET Core as the only way forward.
        Linqpad is the only tool from Windows I am really missing from Windows for .NET development and .NET Core support and being able to run natively on OS X / Linux would be a huge win.

• klmcw commented  · 

Any traction on this? I would be ok with just a CLI to start.

fyi - I use Fedora 28 (currently) and Visual Studio Code as an editor (not really important).

Would just need a way to do thing typically done in the UI (perhaps .linqpad/config files?) such as:
        * create db connections
        * install and use drivers (SQLite, etc.)
        * configure external references
        * reference stored queries
        * CLI option to provide different output options (results, SQL, XML, etc.)
        * CLI option to declare script type: C# statements, C# program, etc.

There may be other things I am not thinking of - but I believe those to be the major features.

Of course, it would be nice if it shared the same license.

• Kristian Barrett commented  · 

I agree with this. I use LinqPad all the time, but am now moving on to OS X only, since dotnet core allows for this. I would really love to see LinqPad working on core.

Feedback and Knowledge Base