Skip to content

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

More than 100 LINQPad features are a direct result of customer feedback! This is the official forum for posting and voting on ideas – we want to hear from you!

LINQPad Feature Suggestions

Categories

1182 results found

1. By default, LINQPad seems can only shown *.linq, *.json, *.csv and *.txt files in a folder. I'd like to show more file types especially some other text file types such as *.md.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Despite using LinqPad nearly every day, I can never seem to remember that the X at the top right of results tab means hide and does NOT mean "close results and free up memory". And yes I know the tooltip says 'Hide Results' and not 'Close Results' , but this never seems to stick in my memory.

Can't think of a single time when I have used the Ctrl-R Show Results option.

Would be possible, either to have another button to close, or an option to configure what the X button does?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. While running through a script I can already see the yellow arrow jump from line to line at execution. It would be awesome to see how much time elapsed for each line after a run.

If this has too much of a performance impact it could be made toggleable. A similar feature that's already present in Visual Studio: Show the elapsed time between two breakpoints being hit.

Currently the only way to get this information (as far as I'm aware) is to add Stopwatches all over the code (C# Statements).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Conversations with AI Assistant can be very useful. I want to save the whole conversation as Markdown file which is a native format of Assistant's responses. Copying individual sections is tedious, would be good to have a button to save all conversation in default location with suggested file name.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. With the evolution of .NET to support cross-platform development, enabling developers to build and run applications across Windows, Linux, and macOS, I believe now is an opportune time to consider developing a version of LINQPad for macOS.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. "Gain effortless access to your TD Ameritrade account today. Experience streamlined login procedures and manage your investments with ease. Securely monitor portfolios, execute trades, and access market insights. Maximize your investment potential with convenient TD Ameritrade account access. Explore now for financial empowerment."

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Gain seamless access to your Charles Schwab investment account for unparalleled financial management. Experience ease in monitoring your investments, accessing market insights, and executing trades. Secure your financial future with Charles Schwab's trusted investment platform. Join today for exclusive benefits and expert guidance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Looking to boost your online visibility? Hire an SEO expert in Delhi for unparalleled results. Gain organic traffic, improve search engine rankings, and dominate your niche. With tailored strategies and expert guidance, achieve digital success. Contact now for a consultation and propel your business forward.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It would be great if the Ctrl+E SSMS shortcut would be enabled as an alternative to F5. It's easier to reach and makes sense (E for Execute).

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide more information about thrown exceptions (dump message, stack trace, etc).

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Since hitting Esc doesn't seem to trigger any other action, it would be useful for those of us with muscle memory to hit it when we accidentally ran something we shouldn't have. Much faster/simpler than the 2-key combo of Shift-F5. :)

I'm not trying to ask for the larger-scope 'allow remapping keyboard shortcuts', just the Escape key. :)

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The UniversalStaticDriver class does not detect the properties of the customType parameter that are directly of type IEnumerable<T>. If the customType inherits IEnumerable<T> (like say via IList<T>) then the property is detected. But if the property is actually declared as IEnumerable<T> then it is passed over.

I changed the line that declared ienumerableOfT from:

let ienumerableOfT = prop.PropertyType.GetInterface ("System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1")
                where ienumerableOfT != null

to

let ienumerableOfT = (prop.PropertyType.GetGenericTypeDefinition() == typeof(IEnumerable<>) ? prop.PropertyType : null)
                                    ?? prop.PropertyType.GetInterface("System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1") 

Kinda hacky, but it fixed the problem for me. Probably a better solution would be to recurse through the type and all inherited types…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Line numbers are present in a beta release , but only for new Query windows and not when viewing/editing Stored Procs in a DB.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. If i work o X DB i have lightred, but i i work on Y DB i work on limegreen editor

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Obviously, features new to 1.7 (and later) will not be available as LinqPad seems to reference the 1.1 version. Also, I've been having this issue:

Assembly 'MyAssembly, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' uses 'Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The menu item for "Copy for Markdown/Stack Overflow" ends up copying code that in most cases won't compile without manual intervention by the person who grabs it off of Stack Overflow.

Specifically, these two things is on the query options tab, and has to be manually added for the query code to compile and execute:

• References
    • Using directives

It would be nice if those two things could be copied alongside the query code, for instance as specially crafted comments at the top, that would be recognized by LINQPad upon pasting back into it, and moved to the appropriate places.

ie.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When the code fragment is selected and then F5 is pressed, LINQPad runs only selected code. I think this feature is nice.
    When I choose "C# Program" mode, of course I write some utility codes outside the Main() method.
    However, when I select the fragment of code in the Main() and press F5, the build fails, since the definitions outside the Main() wasn't included as "compile target codes".

I think that the codes outside Main() method (in C# / VB Program mode) should be always included in compile targets to enable user-defined classes and methods,
    even if the code fragment…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. There are a few assemblies I often use in LinqPad queries, that are not in the GAC or on Nuget. Every time, I have to browse to their location to find them (e.g. Windows.winmd to use WinRT APIs). It would be nice if there was a "recently used" list in the "Additional references" tab

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I keep coming back to LINQPad to write few lines, execute ...verify, then go back to implement the small bit I just wrote and I am sure everyone does that and some would save those random scratch for later use or reference. So I wonder, why not a code snippet share feature directly from LINQPad? It would increase awareness and allow us share or persist some of the quick code written every now and then.

Cheers.
    Biniam

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here